A delicious plant-based pizza that dreams are made of. A sweet and juicy caramelized onion base, buttery morels mushrooms, and topped with fresh arugula—you don’t want to miss this Vegan Caramelized Onion and Morel Pizza!
We could eat pizza morning, noon, and night. Some of our favorites include Vegan Herbed Ricotta Pizza, Smoky Tahini Jackfruit Pizza, a quick and easy Vegan Za’atar Pita Pizza, or even Dairy Free Dessert Pizza.
However, this homemade pizza is truly a gourmet delicacy. If you need a special meal, let this be the ONE. Date night was just elevated with this homemade morel mushroom pie.
If you are a mushroom lover, you will adore the morels on this plant-based pizza. Their distinct shape and network of ridges are a sight to behold but their nutty flavor and meaty texture will have you coming back for more.
Although morels can be a little pricy, they will definitely elevate a special homemade meal. Purchasing dried morels is one way to cut back on the cost, but fresh mushrooms are ideal for this recipe if you can find them.
Morels aren’t a mushroom you will probably eat often but when you do, they deserve to be savored like in this vegan caramelized onion and morel pizza.
What You Will Need:
- Morel Mushrooms – A delicacy in the mushroom world, these wild cone-shaped beauties take on a life of their own when they are sautéed in vegan butter and garlic. We recommend adding them after baking so they retain all of their glorious flavor.
- Onions – Once sautéed, raw onions become sweet and savory at the same time. A little time, is well worth the effort for intensely flavorful caramelized onions.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This oil is a source of antioxidants and healthy fats. You don’t need much but it will help your caramelized onions to burst with flavor.
- Garlic – The garlic is prepared with the morel mushrooms for extra complexity and robust flavor.
- Fresh Arugula – The fresh sprigs of young arugula add a peppery taste to contrast the sweetness of the onions and mushrooms along with a little healthy crunch.
- Pizza Dough – Any pizza dough will work, either homemade or store-bought or even premade if you prefer.
- Vegan Parmesan – This optional plant-based cheese will add a little saltiness to your pie. Feel free to use either a homemade version such as this Vegan Pepita Parmesan recipe or you can use a light sprinkle of store-bought vegan parmesan.
FAQ & Homemade Pizza Tips:
Is there a substitute for the morels?
- Yes. Any mushroom will work for this pizza. Fresh mushrooms will be best but dried or frozen can also be used in a pinch.
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
- Yup! Just use your favorite gluten-free pizza crust. We like Bob’s Red MillGluten Free Pizza Crust because it’s easy and bakes up nice and crispy.
Don’t rush the caramelized onions.
- For an extra sweet and buttery caramelized onion base, cook your onions for at least 45 minutes but an hour is even better. They are relatively hands-off, just stir them from time to time while prepping your morels or pizza dough.
An extra hot oven works best for pizza crust.
- Turn on your oven extra early if you are looking to replicate pizzeria style crust. A pizza stone or a cast iron pizza skillet will also help to produce a crust that is crispy on the outside yet with a soft interior.
Truffle Oil makes a fantastic addition.
- Drizzle a little white or black truffle oil on top immediately before serving if you want to really take this to another level.
Clean your mushrooms well.
- Thanks to their fun honey-cone shape, morels can often hide dirt and even tiny insects. Be sure to thoroughly submerge them in water and then allow them to dry completely before you cook them.
Make Ahead Options:
- The caramelized onions and the morels can both be made in advance.Simply store them in the refrigerator for a day or two until you are ready to assemble your pizza.
Finally, never consume morels if you aren’t 100% sure that they are safe.
- Although mushroom foraging sounds fun, it can also be dangerous. Please be sure to read up and learn about wild mushrooms if you plan to gather your own. Better yet, purchase the mushrooms for the health and safely of your family.
Yup, Vegan Caramelized Onion and Morel Pizza!
Morels are the elite of all mushrooms and they shine on this homemade pizza. Get ready for a fancy feast at home with this plant-based morel mushroom pie.
Vegan Caramelized Onion and Morel Pizza
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Sauté, Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Pizza Dough (your choice)
5 Onions (peeled and sliced thin)
1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
3 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
8 oz. Fresh Morel Mushrooms (washed and trimmed)
1 Cup Packed Fresh Arugula
2 Tbsp Vegan Parmesan
- Prepare or buy the dough of your choice. Precook the dough if using fresh to make it ready for toppings.Typically you cook dough for about 10 minutes prior to adding any toppings, if you are using traditional pizza dough.
- Prepare the produce as directed above.
- In a deep skillet with a small amount of oil, sauté the onion over medium heat. Stir the onions frequently cooking until they turn a rich brown color. Approx. 40-60 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the butter and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for one minute.
- Preheat or turn the temperature of the oven to 400°F.
- Next, add the mushrooms to the pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon a layer of the caramelized onions onto the dough and bake it 8-10 minutes. Until the crust is browned.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the garlic mushroom mixture and a layer of fresh arugula.Garnish with vegan Parmesan.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Vegan Caramelized Onion and Morel Pizza
Also, check out some of our other favorite morel mushroom recipes… Mmmmm 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!