Pizza! One of my favorite words. Especially when the pizza is super easy, light and healthy, and loaded with zesty flavor. This Vegan Za’atar Pita Pizza checks every one of those boxes and is a weeknight recipe dream. This is NOT a meal that you will make once!
What exactly is Za’atar?
Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture made from a variety of savory herbs, toasted sesame seeds, other spices, salt, and dried sumac. It is heavy on the herbs but not spicy, which makes a terrific accompaniment for crispy pita bread.
Most commonly, za’atar is used for a seasoning for meats and vegetables or it is sprinkled on a pita and baked for a crunchy and delicious snack that is perfect for dipping in creamy hummus. This traditional Lebanese specialty is simply phenomenal. Chances are, once you try za’atar, you will be looking for ways to incorporate this tasty seasoning into any and everything. Yes, it is THAT GOOD. If you can’t track down this flavorful seasoning at your local grocery store, you can also find it online HERE.
A Quick and Easy Take on Pizza
Pizza is a staple in our household. Yes, now we skip the dairy-based cheese, but we still lovepizza as much as the next person, it just happens to be plant-based! But homemade pizza is no joke. Making dough, leaving time for it to rise, rolling the crust, chopping LOTS of delicious veggies for toppings, and maybe even making vegan cheese from scratch is a real time commitment. However, this pita pizza is light and healthy and SO EASY.
There is no need to pre-bake this pita pizza crust. Simply coat it lightly with extra virgin olive oil, spread a heavy layer of za’atar seasoning, and top with cheesy cashew mozzarella, and sliced tomato. This Vegan Za’atar Pita Pizza is basically a jacked up margarita pizza with an intense savory flavor. However, dill does replace the traditional basil because it pairs to nicely with the zesty seasoning.
The key to a pita base pizza is to cook it until it is toasty brown. But be forewarned, keep an extra close eye on it when it’s baking. It can go from barely cooked to burned in a mere minute or two. But even if it is a little on the crunchy side, it will still take spectacular with the za’atar seasoning sprinkled on top.
If you are looking for a light and healthy pizza option that still delivers BIG flavor, you must try this Vegan Za’atar Pita Pizza. No, it won’t taste like a traditional new York slice. But this easy homemade recipe can be ready in no time at all and you won’t feel any guilt afterward. In fact, you can even eat the whole pie! 😉 Enjoy.
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews (Soaked or Boiled)
- 7 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 2 Large Pitas
- ¼ Cup Za'atar Spice
- 2 Small Tomatoes sliced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Dill chopped
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil them for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add all the cheese ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a sauce pan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly for 5-7 minutes or until your desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush a thin layer of oil onto one side of each pita and coat with za'atar spice. Feel free to use lots!
- Place cheese dollops and sliced tomato on the pitas and bake for 5 minutes. Keep a close eye because depending on your oven, it might bake faster. Remove when the pita is lightly browned and crispy.
- Top with fresh dill and enjoy!!!
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support.