A delectable plant-based side where nutritious beets are baked twice, first in the oven and then in the air fryer, for an irresistible crunch. Then these Crispy Air-Fried Beets are topped with vegan feta, fresh basil, and green onions for a scrumptious vegan and gluten-free salad or side dish.
Twice Baked Beets
These roasted and then air-fried beets are deliciously crunchy and topped with tangy vegan feta for one nutritious side with a satisfying bite. The saltiness of the dairy-free feta is a dreamy contrast to the naturally sweet beets.
First, the beets are roasted in the oven and then they are smashed and fried in the air fryer for a healthy yet crave-worthy dish. This is one recipe, you will want to make on repeat- trust us!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Roasted Beets – Sweet roasted beets are then smashed and air-fried for a mouth-watering flavor experience. Try this simple homemade recipe for Easy Roasted Beets.
- Vegan Feta Cheese – Tart and creamy feta is a perfect combination for deep roasted beets.
- Green Onion – Green onion adds a fresh crunch to this simple side dish
- Basil – The aromatics in basil allow this recipe to hit all the senses.
- Olive Oil – Just a touch of oil helps the frying process but still keeps this recipe light.
FAQ & Crispy Air-Fried Beet Tips:
Can you twice bake the beets rather than air frying them?
- Yes. If you prefer to smash them and then bake them on a pan in the oven until crispy that works too. However, they will take significantly longer to cook in the oven and for that reason we recommend the air fryer.
Can you use store-bought roasted beets to save time?
- Absolutely! Simply smash the beets and then they are ready for air-frying.
- If you have leftovers, we recommend reheating them in the air fryer. This will allow them to retain their crispy texture. However, be sure to keep a close eye on them to avoid over-cooking/burning.
- Try adding a sprinkle of raw or toasted pepitas for a scrumptious crunch or even serve it over a bed of lettuce for a complete nutritious salad.
This fun recipe will allow even beet novices to enjoy the amazing natural flavor of this versatile root veggie and the crispy texture might even win over some beet skeptics! 😄Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made these crispy air-fried beets, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Crispy Air-Fried Beets
- Prep Time: 5 min.
- Roasting: 50 min.
- Cook Time: 20 min.
- Total Time: 25 min. (+ Roasting Time, if needed)
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Category: Side, Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A vegan and gluten-free side with an amazing crispy texture. Smashed and air-fried beets are topped with feta cheese for a flavor explosion!
- 3 Beets (Roasted and Peeled. Try this recipe for Easy Roasted Beets)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Feta Cheese (Crumbled)
- Green Onion (Sliced)
- Basil (Lightly Chopped)
- Roast and peel the beets as per this Easy Roasted Beet recipe or buy already roasted beets.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to the air fryer and then add the whole beets into the fryer.
- Using a potato masher, carefully squish the beets into the air fryer. Drizzle the remaining oil on the top of the beets.
- Allow to fry for 20 minutes or until the beets become darker with crispy parts.
- Carefully remove the beets from the air fryer and place on a serving platter. Crumble vegan feta on top of the beets as well as sliced green onion and basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Air-Fried Beets, Crispy Air-Fryer Beet Recipe, Vegan Beet Recipe