This comforting soup is lusciously cheesy with just the right amount of nutritious broccoli. Make this easy vegan broccoli cheese soup for a cozy winter meal that will warm you right up!
An Extra “Cheesy” Dairy-Free Soup
My Grandma made the best Broccoli Cheese Soup. It was SO GOOD, broccoli even became my favorite vegetable as a child and to be honest, I have missed this soup– for years!
But now, we can indulge in extra cheesy broccoli soup even while following a plant-based diet. Woohoo!
A Plant-Based Twist on a Classic Recipe
This comforting soup is extra rich and creamy. The cashews add richness and the saltiness of the vegan cheddar cheese is a match made in soup heaven.
However, then you throw in tons of broccoli for an easy to make meal that checks all the boxes. Yes, you are going to enjoy this one down to the last creamy drop.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Broccoli – Nutritious and delicious, broccoli makes this twist on a classic soup familiar.
- Carrot and Potato – Carrot and potato add important starches into this soup, giving it a smooth and creamy texture.
- Onion & Garlic – To deepen the flavors, add onion and garlic to the base of this soup before blending.
- Vegetable Broth – Homemade or store bought, using vegetable broth instead of water is going to bring any soup to the next level.
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese Shreds – With only 1 cup of dairy-free cheddar cheese, this vegan soup becomes deliciously rich and cheesy.
- Seasonings/Spices – By using a combination of nutritional yeast, miso paste, dijon mustard, paprika, onion powder, and pepper your soup will have the aroma and taste of cheese without any dairy needed.
FAQ & Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup Tips:
Can frozen broccoli be used instead of fresh
- Absolutely. Feel free to use approximately 5 cups of frozen broccoli florets instead. Additionally, it will cut down on the prep/cook time which is always nice too!
Do you have to use the carrot and potato?
- Nope. We love this addition because it gives the soup an extra healthy boost but they can be omitted if you like. However, just be aware that the soup won’t be quite as thick and luscious.
Make it Pretty
- To create a fancy look when serving, we suggest saving a few of the steamed broccoli florets to use as a garnish. Simply add them to the top of the soup for a healthy and beautiful looking soup bowl.
- We recommend adding a little extra vegetable broth when you are reheating this soup because it tends to thicken up. Just a tablespoon or two should suffice and just stir it in prior to either heating in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Comfort in a Bowl 🥣
This warm and comforting soup instantly transports me back to my grandparent’s kitchen. It’s amazing how with a few simple ingredient tweaks, you can still feel the love of a traditional recipe. We hope you experience the same. Enjoy!
We love seeing when you share our recipes! Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this broccoli cheese soup. Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
A creamy and nutritious dairy-free soup that’s also indulgent. This easy vegan broccoli cheese soup is deceptively good for you!
- 3 Broccoli Crowns (Stalks Removed)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Carrot (Small Diced)
- 1 Small Red Onion (Small Diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Small Red Potatoes (Peeled, Rough Chopped)
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Using your preferred method, steam the broccoli florets for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a stock pot over medium/high heat, add the oil along with the carrot and onion. Cook, stirring frequently until they start to brown and the onion is fragrant. Approx. 2 minutes.
- Next, add the potato and garlic. Stir for 1 minute to allow garlic to brown slightly. Now add the vegetable stock and cashews. Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes allow it to cool slightly.
- While the pot cools, separate the florets from the stems of your steamed broccoli.
- Once the pot is cool to the touch, transfer the contents to a blender along with the nutritional yeast, miso paste, Dijon mustard, pepper, paprika and onion powder. Blend on high until very smooth. Approx 1-2 minutes.
- When your soup is smooth, add the steamed broccoli stems and blend them briefly into the soup. Pour the soup back into the stock pot and return it to the stove over medium/low heat.
- Stir the broccoli florets and vegan cheddar into the soup and allow the soup to heat to your desired serving temperature. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup, Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe, Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos