A flavorful plant-based protein that can be served as an entree or a fun appetizer, this Air Fryer Blackened Tofu delights all the senses in a bite-sized package. Crispy on the outside and pillowy on the inside, this peppery tofu is also vegan and gluten-free.
Indulgent and Nutritious
This blackened tofu recipe is fried in just a fraction of oil for a deliciously crispy exterior and a soft and pillowy interior. Additionally, it loaded with healthy plant-based protein for a meal that is sure to satisfy.
A Plant-Based Protein Bursting with Flavor
The easy homemade blackened seasoning for this recipe is smoky, herby, and extra peppery. We guarantee, no one would dare call this tofu bland. In fact, your family may even come running when they begin to smell its flavorful aroma!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Extra Firm Tofu – This plant-based protein lends itself perfectly to this dish. The result is a crispy and flavorful outer coating while retaining the soft inside.
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning – Savory and smoky, this blend of common vegan household ingredients transforms this tofu into a mouthwatering bite.
- Oil – One tablespoon of oil, that’s it– creates crispy tofu in the air fryer that’s both healthy and indulgent.
FAQ & Air Fryer Blackened Tofu Tips:
Can this tofu be made in the oven instead?
- Yes. If you prefer to bake the tofu, you can cook it in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes (flipping halfway) at 400℉. However, be aware that the tofu won’t be quite as crispy when prepared in the oven.
Can the herbs and spices in the blackened seasoning be adjusted?
- Absolutely! If you prefer to leave out an ingredient or two, the seasoning will still work but the flavor might not be quite as complex.
Be mindful of the size when cutting your tofu
- In our experience, the tofu needs to be large enough to retain its soft interior texture. We recommend cutting the pieces approximately 1 inch by 1 inch. You should get 24 pieces from one brick of tofu.
Mix It Up
- Instead of tofu, try using tempeh or seitan for this recipe for a fun twist.
- Serve this tofu alongside toothpicks for a fun bite-size appetizer or serve it over a bed of greens for a healthy entree. Alternatively, it can also be served with a baked potato, over creamy polenta, or even in a taco.
A Flavorful Entree or Appetizer
Serve this tofu for a tasty app at your next party for a crowd pleaser or serve it over a bed of greens, creamy polenta, or even a baked potato for a complete meal. However it’s served, it will be gobbled up quickly- we promise! Enjoy!
We love seeing when you share our recipes! Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this blackened tofu recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below! Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Step-by-Step Instructional Photos
A flavorful appetizer or entree that’s crispy on the outside and pillowy on the inside. This Air Fryer Blackened Tofu is healthy yet indulgent!
- 1 14oz Package Extra firm Tofu (Pressed 30 Minutes)
- 2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Remove the tofu from its package and transfer it to a tofu press. Additionally, if you do not have a tofu press, wrap the tofu brick in paper towels and place a heavy dish or pan on top. Allow to press for 30 minutes.
- While the tofu is being pressed, preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Once the tofu has pressed, cut the brick into 1 inch by 1 inch squares.
- Combine the seasonings into a reusable or plastic bag. Add the tofu and shake to coat the tofu completely.
- Carefully place the coated tofu squares into the preheated air fryer. Allow them to cook for 20 minutes total. Check the tofu every 5 minutes and flip after 10 minutes. Depending on your air fryer and taste, cooking time may vary. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Air Fryer Blackened Tofu, Blackened Tofu Recipe, Vegan Blackened Tofu Recipe