A deep and smokey cashew cheese that melts in your mouth and easily comes together with only 6 ingredients. This Homemade Vegan Smoked Mozzarella Cheese deserves a spot on your next charcuterie board.
Easy Homemade Plant-Based Cheese
One of the hardest things for us to give up when we became plant-based was cheese. Fortunately, we quickly learned that nuts are a great base for a dairy-free cheese that also happens to be protein rich.
Although there are now a multitude of different vegan cheeses available at most grocery stores, there is no need to spend lots of money when you can easily make your own “cheese” at home!
Silky, Creamy & Smoky
If you are in the mood for traditional mozzarella cheese that melts in your mouth, give this vegan fresh mozzarella a try. However, if you love the deep flavor of smoked cheese, no need to invest in a smoker when you can simply add liquid smoke.
Best yet, this cheese only requires 6 ingredients and comes together with ease. Then, simply refrigerate it until ready to serve- even up to a few days. So easy!
Watch: How to Make Homemade Vegan Smoked Mozzarella Cheese
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Raw Cashews – Protein rich cashews blend into a silky smooth cream which is the perfect base for a “cheese”.
- Tapioca Flour – The secret weapon to thicken and solidify homemade vegan cheese.
- Nutritional Yeast – The staple ingredient that provides rich cheesy flavor.
- Lemon – Bright and tart lemon adds irresistible tanginess.
- Salt – Mimic the natural saltiness of cheese with a dash of salt. Use as much or as little as you want.
- Liquid Smoke – The gem in this recipe, robust liquid smoke adds intense flavor to this ”cheese.”
FAQ & Homemade Vegan Smoked Mozzarella CheeseTips:
Is this a hard or soft cheese?
- This mozzarella is soft and is reminiscent of fresh mozzarella but it must be refrigerated in order to firm up so it can be easily sliced.
Is there a difference between tapioca flour and starch?
- Nope. Both names are interchangeable and depending on the brand you buy, you may see either one.
Tip: Make It In Advance!
- This vegan cheese actually tastes better once it has had time to set, so go ahead and make it early. It can be made 2 or even 3 days in advance.
- This vegan mozzarella is great for an appetizer or add it to a charcuterie board for a crowd favorite. Additionally, it can be used for pizza, grilled cheese, sandwiches, and so much more!
A Gourmet Vegan Cheese
This is the plant-based cheese that needs to be on your next charcuterie board. Not only will your guests be wowed but it tastes incredible with fresh veggies, dry fruit, and more! Snack away!
Finally, if you have made this smoked mozzarella, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
A stretchy cashew cheese with robust smoky flavor- this homemade vegan smoked mozzarella cheese only requires 6 ingredients and is a perfect addition to your next charcuterie board!
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil them for 10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and place them into a blender along with the tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, water and 1 tsp liquid smoke.
- Thinly coat the inside of a few small wide mouth jars with oil for molds.
- Blend until very smooth, approx. 1 minute.
- Pour the mixture into a high sided frying pan and place over medium-high heat.
- Stirring constantly, allow the mixture to thicken until it becomes thick and smooth with no clumps.
- Quickly and carefully pour the thickened mixture into your prepared molds. Tap the fill molds lightly on the counter to release trapped air.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours.
- Once solid, turn the mold upside down and lightly shake or touch to let it naturally release from the mold onto a serving plate. For extra smokiness, combine the optional ¼ tsp liquid smoke with 1 Tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce and brush the top of the finished mozzarella cheese with the smoky mixture.
- Slice and serve with crackers and fruit, bake on a pizza, or add it to a sandwich.
- Leftovers still in the mold can be kept for 4-5 days in the refrigerator and sliced leftovers can be kept for 2 days in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Homemade Vegan Smoked Mozzarella Cheese, Vegan Mozzarella Recipe, Cashew Cheese Recipe