This Homemade Vegan Sofritas Crunchwrap features a new and unique twist on the cult classic Taco Bell staple– spicy tempeh sofritas! Yes, two fast food favorites are combined for the ultimate vegan Tex-Mex meal.
Homemade Fast Food Favorites
One of our favorite things to do is making homemade versions or variations of some of our favorite restaurant recipes.
Well, this one is a doozy because it features a remix of Chipotle’s Sofritas but made with crumbled tempeh as the main ingredient for a homemade version of Taco Bell’s Crunchwrap Supreme.
In our humble opinion, these two belong together and you will never want either one alone again. 🌯🌮
Spice is Always Nice
The key to any good Mexican meal is just a little bit of heat and the Crunchwrap is no exception. A chipotle pepper adds the perfect amount of spice to the Spicy Vegan Tempeh Sofritas and cayenne pepper kicks up the heat in The Best Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce.
All-in-all, this one packs the perfect amount of punch- your lips might tingle but it keeps you coming back for more.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Flour Tortillas – Using one burrito tortilla and one street taco tortilla creates an amazing meal you can hold in your hand.
- Tostadas – Dividing the ingredients with a crunchy corn tostada adds amazing texture.
- Nacho Cheese Sauce – Creamy cashew nacho cheese adds a little spice and great depth of flavor.
- Sofritas – Homemade sofritas featuring crumbled tempeh provides protein and makes this a complete meal.
- Taco Fixings – Guacamole, lettuce, tomato, cilantro provide an amazingly fresh taste but feel free to add your own favorites as well.
FAQ & Vegan Sofritas Crunchwrap Tips:
Is this recipe gluten-free?
- Unfortunately, no due to the flour tortilla and gluten-free versions are usually not available in a larger burrito size. However, you could experiment with gluten-free versions and possibly trimming a larger one to fit when folding for a smaller crunchwrap.
What size tortillas work best for Crunchwraps?
- For the same size that you would get at Taco Bell, a burrito flour tortilla is used along with a smaller tortilla for the top. Either a taco shell or fajita size will work but we actually prefer to use Street Taco tortillas for easier folding.
What if I can’t find tostadas?
- Another option is to either break hard taco shells in half so they lay relatively flat or use tortilla chips.
- To best seal your crunchwraps, we suggest cooking the folded side first, which will ensure that everything stays adequately sealed.
- Serve with extra Cashew Nacho Cheese and Guacamole for Dipping.
- Like it Spicy? Add hot sauce and/or salsa in your Crunchwrap.
- We highly recommend making the nacho cheese sauce and tempeh sofritas in advance. Additionally, you will probably not need all of the sauce or tempeh for this recipe, so extras of both can be incorporated into an easy weeknight recipe for nachos, tacos, salads, or used for Mexican baked potatoes.
Soft & Hard Shells Unite!
Two is always better than one and taco shells are no different. In other words, why settle for one a flour OR a corn tortilla when you can have BOTH?! Happy crunching!
We’d Love Your Feedback
We love seeing when you share our recipes. Please tag us on Instagram @meatlessmakeovers so we can see your fabulous creations. You can also find us on Tik Tok, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’d love to know what you thought of this Crunchwrap recipe. Don’t forget to leave a comment and star rating ⭐️ below. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
A homemade meal combining favorites from Taco Bell and Chipotle- this recipe for Vegan Sofritas Crunchwraps might just be life changing!
- Make or buy the vegan nacho cheese sauce, sofritas (or plant-based protein of your choice) and guacamole.
- Chop the Romaine lettuce, cilantro and dice the tomato.
- On a clean flat surface, lay out a burrito-sized tortilla, spoon a layer of sofritas in the center of the tortilla approximately the diameter of the corn tostada. Spoon a layer of nacho cheese sauce on top of the tempeh sofritas.
- Next, place the tostada on top of the nacho cheese. Spoon a layer of guacamole on top of the tostada and top with lettuce, tomato, cilantro and vegan shredded cheddar cheese (if desired).
- Place a nonstick frying pan over medium/high heat. Coat with a thin layer of oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Top the layers with a street taco tortilla and fold the burrito tortilla up and over the ingredients creating a package.
- Place the Crunchwrap folded side down on the frying pan. Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully flip the Crunchwrap and repeat on the other side.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftover ingredients separately in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Homemade Vegan Sofritas Crunchwrap, Tempeh Crunchwrap Recipe, Vegan Crunchwrap Recipe