This easy vegan and gluten-free Silken Tofu with Spicy Chili Crisp recipe comes together in minutes. But don’t let it’s ease fool you, this appetizer has incredible flavor and texture!
A Deliciously Spicy Sauce
We are not ones to shy away from anything spicy and we know you feel the same! Therefore, this recipe features an irresistible Spicy Chili Crisp sauce that comes together with only 3 ingredients– liquid aminos or soy sauce, rice vinegar, and Spicy Chili Crisp.
We highly recommend the tried and true classic brand Laoganma’s Spicy Chili Crisp for this recipe but any chili sauce will work. Above all, it’s the crispies in the oil based sauce that are the perfect contrast to the silky smooth tofu in this recipe.
An Adorable Bite-Sized Appetizer
Additionally, you don’t need to worry about the number of people attending for this easy app. It’s completely customizable depending on how big you cut your tofu bites.
Simply slice your soft or silken tofu into small pieces and then top with your prepared spicy crisp sauce. Finally, for a little extra pizzazz, you can garnish your bites with chopped green onion and sesame seeds to take this super easy hors d’oeuvres up a notch. All-in-all, this is one flavorful appetizer that you are going to love!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Silken or Soft Tofu – Soft and smooth silken tofu is served almost right out of the package in this surprisingly addictive appetizer.
- Spicy Chili Crisp – Crunchy and mildly spicy, this condiment is rich in flavor and is easily the star in these bites.
- Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce – The saltiness of liquid aminos helps to open up the subtle flavors in both the chili crisp and the tofu rounding out your palette with every bite.
- Rice Vinegar – The slight sweetness of rice vinegar completes this topping and cuts the oils of the chili crisp.
- Green Onion – Crunchy sliced green onion, adds a pop of freshness to this dish.
- Sesame Seeds – Optional but totally worth it, sesame seeds add even more crispiness to this fun appetizer.
Watch: How to Make Silken Tofu with Spicy Chili Crisp
FAQ & Silken Tofu with Spicy Chili Crisp Tips:
Can this be made with firm or extra firm tofu instead?
- Yes, however it will completely change the mouth-feel and therefore, in our opinion, the best part about this recipe– the contrasting textures between the silky tofu and the spicy chili crisp sauce.
Where can you find Spicy Chili Crisp?
- This flavorful oil can be found at Asian markets, online, or a similar version is available at Trader Joe’s or most likely at your own local grocery store in the international section.
Serve warm or cold depending on the season. ☀️ ❄️
- These tofu bites can be enjoyed both hot and cold. In the cooler months, we suggest either leaving the tofu out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes or warming it either in a microwave or steaming it for 1 minute. Alternatively, in the summer these bites are delicious when served cold.
Top with the sauce immediately before serving.
- Although these bites will still be safe to eat and enjoyable after sitting out for a while, the oil will begin to separate and they may not look as appetizing.
A Protein-Packed Appetizer
If you have a brick of silken or soft tofu in your refrigerator, don’t wait any longer! In a few minutes you will have the most amazing vegan and gluten-free appetizer perfect for sharing or enjoying all on your own. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this tofu recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Deliciously spicy and packed with flavor, these silken tofu with spicy chili crisp bites are perfect for sharing and ready in minutes!
- Open and drain the tofu gently. Carefully place the tofu on a plate and microwave for 1 minute or leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, it can also be served cold during warming months.
- In a small bowl, combine the liquid aminos (or soy sauce), spicy chili crisp, and rice vinegar. Stir to incorporate.
- Carefully cut the tofu brick into equal pieces and place them in a serving plate. We typically cut it into 12 pieces but it can be more or less depending on the number of people you plan to serve.
- Spoon the chili mixture over the tofu pieces. Garnish with sliced green onion and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Silken Tofu Recipe, Silken Tofu with Spicy Chili Crisp, Spicy Tofu Appetizer