This spicy plant-based pizza has a base of sweet caramelized onions topped with nutritious cauliflower. Pizza night will never be the same again with this Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread on the menu.
Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower
A few years ago, we were traveling with Alissa’s parents and we took them to a vegan restaurant. They do not follow a plant-based diet but they’re always willing to try and one of the things we knew her dad would love was buffalo cauliflower. Boy, did he.
Although vegans and meat-eaters can both enjoy this spicy delicacy on its own, there is just something special when it’s put on a flatbread pizza. The crispy crust offsets the tender cauliflower and there’s no need to add red pepper flakes when the spiciness is cooked right in! This is one dang good pizza that Alissa’s dad would also definitely jam on. 😄
Pizza By Any Other Name
Yes… flatbread is technically pizza. But if you are like us, we enjoy pizza quite frequently, so this is flatbread, okay?
Best yet, when you use a pre-made flatbread crust, it avoids the stress of making a decent homemade pizza crust. Of course, if you want to make your own, try this foolproof pizza dough recipe. However, we love to keep some flatbreads in the freezer, so pizza night (oops, flatbread!) is always an option!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Flatbread Crust – A pre-made flatbread crust is a great time-saver especially on a busy weeknight. However, if you want to roll your own crust, this pizza dough recipe is our personal favorite.
- Onions – The onions are cooked until they caramelize to produce a sweet base for the flatbread.
- Cauliflower – Healthy cauliflower florets are sauteed in a spicy homemade buffalo sauce.
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese – Would it be pizza night without it? We think not!
- Buffalo Sauce – A combination of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and vegan butter produces a rich and spicy sauce that will leave you licking your lips.
- Vegan Blue Cheese – The tanginess of blue cheese pairs perfectly with the spicy cauliflower. Try this homemade recipe for The Best Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing.
- Green Onion – Sliced green onions adds a pop of freshness.
- Fresh Cilantro – Chopped fresh cilantro is aromatic and bright which is a great contrast to the spicy sauce. Alternatively, you can also use fresh parsley, if preferred.
FAQ & Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread Tips:
What is the difference between pizza and flatbread?
- Technically pizza is defined as yeasted flatbread that is topped with tomato sauce and cheese. Whereas, flatbread “pizza” is normally a crispier crust that is often topped with lighter ingredients and sauce. In this case, we are using caramelized onions in place of a sauce.
Why is it called buffalo sauce?
- This spicy hot sauce was first made at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York by Teressa Bellissimo. Basically buffalo sauce is a combination of hot sauce and fat, which in this case is vegan butter, ultimately producing a rich and extra creamy hot sauce.
Tip- Start caramelizing your onions first.
- Caramelized onions are super flavorful and worth the effort but they do take a minute to prepare. Therefore, we recommend first cooking the onions and while they cook, you can cut your cauliflower and prepare the buffalo sauce and cook your cauliflower, all while your onions are getting extra sweet and caramelized.
Tip- Add a little bit of freshness to your pizza.
- This pizza is rich and satisfying on its own but by topping it with chopped green onion, fresh cilantro, and sliced avocado it adds a brightness that works so well with the spicy buffalo sauce. Alternatively, you can also add some fresh arugula for a healthy addition.
Mix It Up
Although this flatbread is spectacular as is, here are a few other ideas if you want to shake it up…
- Substitute pizza sauce for the base of the pizza instead of using caramelized onions.
- Switch out the cauliflower for crumbled tofu/tempeh or use canned chickpeas for a protein-rich flatbread.
- Try vegan ranch if you aren’t the biggest fan of blue cheese.
- Lastly, you can always opt for a traditional pizza crust if preferred rather than a crispy flatbread.
Honestly, you really can’t go wrong with spicy buffalo sauce and flatbread any way you shake it. 🍕
Let Us Know What You Think
Finally, if you have made this buffalo cauliflower flatbread, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
A spicy homemade pizza featuring caramelized onions and vegan buffalo cauliflower on top of a crispy flatbread crust.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Medium Yellow Onions (Halved, Skinned and Sliced into Long Strips)
Vegan Buffalo Sauce:
- 6 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- ¾ Cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Cauliflower (Core Removed, Cut into Small Florets)
- 2 Premade Flatbreads (We used Brooklyn Bred)
- 1 Cup Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- ½ Cup Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing (Try this recipe for The Best Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing!)
- 2 Green Onions (Sliced, Garnish)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro (Chopped, Garnish)
- Prepare the onions by slicing off the stem, cutting them in half through the root and removing the skin. Next slice the onions toward the root into long strips approx. ¼ inch thick. Finally chop off the root end, allowing the strips to break apart.
- Heat a skillet over medium/low heat and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Allow the oil to heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the sliced onions and turn the heat to low.
- Continue to stir the onions occasionally until they are very soft and deep brown but not burned approx. 40 minutes.
- While the onions cook, make the sauce. In a small saucepan, add the vegan butter and melt it over medium heat. Then, add the hot sauce and stir thoroughly to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside. Next, cut the cauliflower by removing the core and cutting it into small florets.
- While continuing to stir and check on the onions, Cook the cauliflower. In a large skillet over medium/high heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Allow the oil to heat for 1 minute and add the chopped cauliflower. Stir occasionally until the cauliflower starts to soften and brown approx. 10-12 minutes.
- Next add the buffalo sauce to the skillet (Reserve a small amount for drizzling on the pizza, if desired). Stir in the sauce to coat the cauliflower evenly. Continue to cook and stir the cauliflower for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes cover the pan and allow the cauliflower to steam in the sauce for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and begin to prepare the flatbread.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a flatbread onto a baking sheet and top with a layer of caramelized onion. Next add a layer of vegan mozzarella cheese, followed by the buffalo cauliflower. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Finally, Garnish the flatbread with green onions, cilantro, vegan blue cheese dressing and reserved buffalo sauce. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
- Leftover flatbread can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread, Spicy Vegan Pizza Recipe, Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza