This incredibly easy to make sandwich is a crowd pleaser! Simple fresh ingredients combine for a satisfying and delicious meal. Use your favorite BBQ sauce for a customized tang. This isn’t a sandwich that is going to fool your friends that prefer meat, but it will surprise them with just how tasty it is. We often can’t wait to have guests just so we can make this fast and tasty dish.
We love lots of cilantro, but add to your liking or not at all. We do highly recommend the cabbage though because it adds a nice fresh crunch to the sandwich.
- 3 Cups Shredded Sweet Potato (2-3 Whole Potatoes)
- 1 Red Onion (Chopped in Thin Wedges)
- ½ Cup Red Cabbage (Shredded)
- 1 Jalapeno (seeds Removed and Chopped
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 2-3 Sprigs of Fresh Cilantro (Stems Removed)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-4 Hamburger Buns (Gluten Free if Desired)
- Wash and prepare all produce. We recommend a mandolin for shredded the sweet potato if you have one because it is much faster. But if you don’t have one, either a julienne peeler or cheese grater will get the job done just at a slower pace.
- Add the olive oil to a large deep frying pan and heat over medium/high heat. Add the sweet potato, onion, and jalapeno.
- Cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently until the onions are translucent and the sweet potato is slightly browned.Next add the bbq sauce to the pan.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low and cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and scoop about ½ cup of the sweet potato mixture onto the sliced buns. Top with the shredded red cabbage and cilantro. Serve warm and enjoy!