A Vegan Huli Huli Zoodle Bowl made with seasoned seitan and grilled pineapple, topped over fresh zucchini noodles. This plant-based bowl is fresh, flavorful, and filling!
A Fun Meatless Makeover
Huli huli is a Hawaiian specialty that typically involves chicken. However, seitan is a perfect plant-based alternative to create a healthy meat free entrée with oodles of flavor. By cutting the seitan into small bite-sized pieces, it allows each and every piece to soak up the sweet and savory sauce.
We made our seitan ourselves using this recipe, but to cut corners and save time, it can also be purchased. Fortunately, at most grocery stores today you will be able to track down seitan quite easily. However, it can be difficult to find it unseasoned.
But if you have the time, definitely make it at home! It’s easy, cost-effective, and you can prepare it exactly the way you want. To make this vegan protein at home you will need vital wheat gluten and a few basic kitchen staples. We like to make it on the weekend and then we have a protein ready to go for at least two recipes during the week.
The Star Ingredient- Pineapple!
Once you have your seitan, next you need PINEAPPLE! We recommend fresh rather than canned. It might take a minute to cut it, but the effort is worth it!
For this huli huli recipe, the pineapple is best grilled. Not only does the pineapple looks amazing with grill marks but it also provides a great contrast with warm seitan and pineapple with the cool zucchini noodles.
A Light and Healthy Entrée
This Vegan Huli Huli Zoodle Bowl is a terrific meal that includes a little bit of everything:
- Plant-based Protein
In other words, it’s a complete vegan meal that even meat eaters will love AND they will probably ask for seconds. Happy cooking!
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice
- ¼ Cup Liquid Aminos
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Mirin
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Inch of Fresh Ginger (Grated)
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- Seitan (Cubed)
- Pineapple (Sliced, Grilled (Optional))
- Green Onions (Sliced) (Garnish)
- Fresh Cilantro (Chopped) (Garnish)
- Zucchini (Spirialized)
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients as directed above.
- If you are grilling the pineapple do it now. Using a grill or a grill-pan cook each side of the pineapple slices until they have dark grill marks and are slightly soft.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently so that all the ingredients dissolve. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a frying pan brown the seitan pieces with a small amount of oil.
- Once the seitan has browned, pour the sauce into the frying pan to coat the seitan. Allow to simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce and glaze the seitan.
- Spiralize your zucchini and divide between serving bowls.
- Spoon the seitan and sauce over the zoodles.
- Add the grilled pineapple and garnish with cilantro and green onions.