A gorgeous green drink that is deliciously spicy and fresh. This Vegan Verde Bloody Mary recipe is the ideal way to celebrate the weekend!
A Green Bloody Mary
I will never forget the time I first saw a monstrous bloody mary that was so loaded with toppings that the drink was barely visible. The person carrying the drink was having such a hard time walking back to their seat without dropping any of the garnish. All I could think about was, “Fun!”
However, then we discovered a bloody mary that might look even better than the original— a green bloody mary! This lovely drink can also be referred to as a green mary or our personal favorite, a verde mary.
This drink features tomatillos which not only add color but they also bring tanginess and acidity which pairs beautifully with all of the nutritious fresh ingredients used for this homemade mix. In other words, it’s perfectly sippable, especially for a relaxing weekend!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Tomatillos – These green gems add amazing color and just the right amount of acidity.
- Yellow Tomatoes – Slightly sweet and very juicy these are a must.
- Jalapeño – Totally optional but the spice is nice in this refreshing drink.
- Fresh Cilantro – This aromatic herb hits you in the nose when you drink and in the tastebuds in the after taste.
- Lime – Bright and lively lime juice helps to blend all of the flavors on your palate.
- Horseradish – Normally strong but when blending in this drink adds just a hint of heat.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce – Deep with flavor, Worcestershire sauce brings vibrant flavors of this drink down to earth.
- Old Bay Seasoning – A great blend of herbs and salt. It can also be used to rim the glass, if desired.
- Vodka – Add as much or as little as you want and your brunch can last all afternoon or omit the alcohol for a tasty mocktail.
FAQ & Verde Bloody Mary Tips:
Can you use another alcohol besides vodka?
- Yup! If you use tequila, it is actually referred to as a Bloody Maria. But it would also be fun to experiment with other alcohols as well like bourbon or rum.
When is National Bloody Mary Day?
- January 1st is recognized as bloody mary day. Makes sense, right?! 😄
Serve with a Straw.
- This drink does tend to separate due to the natural blended tomatillo mix. By serving it with a straw, a quick stir can be given if needed and it makes it easier to sip. Win-win!
Crazy for Garnish.
- Probably the best thing about a Bloody Mary cocktail is the ability to garnish it with everything but the kitchen sink. A few of our favorites include… sizzled shishito peppers, olives, celery stalks, sliced radish, pickles, and more. Fun?!… You betcha!
A Fresh Homemade Mix Made at Home
This bright and tangy drink will delight your senses and allow you to show your creativity. No need to go to a ball game to have a drink that brings the excitement. Cheers!
Finally, if you have made this bloody mary, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
A bright and tangy green cocktail made with tomatillos, this homemade vegan verde Bloody Mary recipe is fun and refreshing!
- 6 Tomatillos (Husked, Washed and Chopped)
- 1 Cup Yellow Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Small Jalapeño (Deseeded)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Packed)
- 2 Limes (Juice Only)
- 1 1/2 tsp Horseradish
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce(Vegan)
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Dash Green Hot Sauce (Optional)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz Vodka
- Prepare all produce as directed above, making sure to wash the tomatillos thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients into a blender excluding the vodka. Blend on high until very smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large pitcher and add the vodka. Stir to combine.
- Chill If desired.
- Add ice to your glassware and fill with Green Bloody Mary.
- Garnish with your choice of colorful plant-based things and enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains an affiliate link to a product that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Verde Bloody Mary, Green Bloody Mary Recipe, Homemade Vegan Bloody Mary Recipe