A fresh, flavorful salad that will remind you of taco night. This Vegan Baja Salad is a healthy option for those that love anything Tex-Mex. Romaine, grilled corn, avocado, tomato, and a few crumbled tortilla chips for good measure. Tuesday just got a little bit interesting!
A LIGHT AND HEALTHY MEAL
There is nothing better than salad, fresh ingredients with a nice healthy crunch. However, this plant-based salad is also satisfying thanks to the creamy avocado, tortilla chips, along with the hemp hearts which provide necessary protein.
Above all though, this salad is sure to delight. In fact, it is absolutely delicious. We could eat this salad for a week straight and not flinch. Most importantly, it’s the combination of nutritious vegetables with the indulgent sprinkling of crunchy tortilla chips that makes this salad truly a meal.
In addition, it is topped with a tangy homemade dressing. This easy Five-Minute Vegan Cilantro Lime Dressing recipe is a must. The homemade dressing adds a creamy component to this fresh vegan Baja salad, but it tastes great with countess other entrées too!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Corn – Grilled corn is ideal for Tex-Mex flavor. It brings a smokiness to the salad. But if you are running short on time, heated frozen corn will also work.
- Romaine Lettuce – A healthy leaf lettuce that adds delicious crunch to the salad. However, it can also be substituted with another green of your choosing.
- Tomatoes – The acidity of the tomatoes blend perfectly with the salad greens. We used cherry tomatoes but sliced tomato will work great too.
- Cilantro – This fresh herb brings big flavor. It also pairs splendidly with the lime and avocado.
- Avocado – There is no substitution for the rich and creamy avocado. It adds healthy plant-based fat that is sure to satisfy. Additionally, you can even make it fancy but shaping it into a flower (it’s not hard, we promise!) or you can simply slice or cube it.
- Red Onion – The raw onion compliments the cilantro and adds a little bit of bite.
- Tortilla Chips – With just a cup of crumbled tortilla chips, you get the addition of tasty salty goodness with minimal guilt.
- Lime – A garnish of a lime wedge or two is great for tanginess. It is also a great way to keep your sliced avocado from browning and looking less than ideal.
- Red Leaf Lettuce – Red lettuce adds a lovely hue to this already colorful salad but feel free to use only romaine if desired or another green in its place.
- Jalapeño – A great optional ingredient to add a little heat. However, feel free to leave it out if you prefer a milder flavor.
- Hemp Hearts – An addition of this healthy plant-based protein has a mild, nutty flavor. A small amount will provide essential nutrients and minerals, but black beans or another protein or your choice can also be used as a replacement.
- Cilantro-Lime Dressing – A store-bought dressing can also be used, but we highly recommend this incredibly easy 5-Minute Vegan Cilantro Lime Dressing. It’s simple to make and tastes spectacular on this fresh salad.
FAQ & VEGAN BAJA SALAD TIPS:
IS THIS SALAD GLUTEN-FREE?
- Yes. Tortilla chips are naturally gluten-free if they are made from corn. Just double check that flour hasn’t been added but otherwise this salad is free from all gluten.
CAN STORE-BOUGHT DRESSING BE USED?
- Absolutely. We would recommend a tangy and creamy variety like Green Goddess dressing or something similar. It will just taste great with the southwestern flavors of this salad.
ADD A FUN TWIST TO THE AVOCADO.
- There is a wealth of helpful blog posts and videos about avocado art. If you want a pretty flower design, we love this step-by-step post How to Make Avocado Flowers by Tasha Metcalf.
TIME SAVING OPTIONS:
- The dressing and the corn can easily be made a day in advance. Additionally, you can use pre-packaged lettuce in place of the romaine and red leaf lettuce to save a minute or two of chopping.
A FRESH AND SATISFYING VEGAN SALAD
A salad can be so much more than a side or appetizer. This Vegan Baja Salad is full of flavor and is a terrific option for a light summer meal. Enjoy!
A fresh and flavorful salad with a taco twist! This vegan Baja salad is made with corn, avocado, tomato, and a spicy homemade cilantro lime dressing. It’s healthy yet satisfying!
2 Ears of Sweet Corn (Grilled)
1 Head of Romain Lettuce (Chopped)
1 Head Red Leaf Lettuce (Chopped)
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (Halved)
1 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
1 Jalapeño (Sliced)
1 Avocado (Sliced)
1 Small Red Onion (Sliced)
1/2 Cup Black Beans (Drained)
2 Tbsp Hemp Hearts (Garnish)
1/4 Cup Tortilla Chips (Crumbled, Garnish)
1 Lime (Sliced, Garnish)
1/2 Cup Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Remove the husks from the corn and place them on a hot grill or under the broiler of the oven. Turn frequently until they are slightly charred all around.
- We highly recommend making this Five-Minute Vegan Cilantro Lime Dressingfor the salad. It can also be made in advance if needed.
- Using a knife, remove the kernels off the cobs and prepare the rest of the produce as directed above.
- Starting with a bed of chopped lettuce, assemble the rest of the produce to your liking.
- Garnish with hemp hearts, tortilla chips, lime wedges, and dressing. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Vegan Baja Salad