Homemade jalapeño poppers receive a fall twist! These Vegan Pumpkin Jalpapeño Poppers are extra creamy with a crispy panko topping. Best yet, they are irresistibly spicy. This is one easy plant-based appetizer that’s sure to be a hit.
A Healthy Homemade App
We just had to squeeze in one more pumpkin recipe this season… you don’t blame us, right?! Well, these easy homemade poppers will help pumpkin season go out with a bang!
Fresh jalapeno peppers make a great vehicle when cut in half. Then, they are filled with a nutritious seasonal cream cheese made with tofu, raw cashews, and canned pumpkin.
Finally, these spicy poppers are topped with panko and baked until they are crispy on the top and soft on the bottom. Trust us, once you pop, it’s hard to stop. 😂
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Jalapeño Peppers – The perfect spicy base for a smooth homemade “cream cheese”.
- Vegan Cream Cheese – Although store-bought can be used, a simple homemade recipe of raw cashews, tofu, lemon juice, miso paste, nutritional yeast, and spices come together quickly in a blender or food processor.
- Canned Pumpkin – Sweet and silky pumpkin purée is a surprisingly seamless fit when mixed with delicious ”cream cheese”.
- Breadcrumbs – Crispy panko breadcrumb adds the perfect finish to these flavorful bites.
- Fresh Parsley – A fresh sprinkle of parsley brightens up this sweet and spicy appetizer.
FAQ & Vegan Pumpkin Jalapeño Popper Tips:
Can these be made gluten-free?
- Absolutely. Simply use gluten-free breadcrumb for the crispy topping.
Can you use store bought vegan cream cheese instead?
- Yup! However, store bought is often thicker in consistency so it may take slightly longer to blend with the pumpkin and to fill the peppers.
Tip: Prepare the Poppers in Advance
- To cut down on the time needed to prepare the poppers, you can either prepare the pumpkin cream cheese a day or two in advance or you make the entire recipe a day in advance and refrigerate the poppers until you are ready to bake.
Tip: Use a pastry bag or ziploc baggie for easy filling
- To speed the process along when filling the cut jalapeños with your pumpkin cream cheese, we recommend using a ziplock bag with a corn cut off or a pastry bag.
An Extra Spicy Option!
- If you love the spice, switch out the plain homemade cream cheese for this Vegan Jalapeño Cream Cheese. Then, just stir in the can of pumpkin and you will have extra spicy poppers!
Bring On the Heat!
The heat level is just right for these homemade poppers. But the rich and creaminess of the pumpkin takes this fun appetizer to a whole new level. Pass a popper please! 😄
Finally, if you have made these vegan pumpkin jalapeño poppers, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
This spicy plant-based appetizer has a Fall twist! These Vegan Pumpkin Jalapeño Poppers are nutritious and they pack a perfect punch!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese:
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews (Soaked or Boiled )
- 1/2 Brink Extra Firm Tofu (Broken into Pieces)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Miso Paste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 15 oz. can Pumpkin Purée
- 15–18 Fresh Jalapeños (Halved Lengthwise and Deseeded)
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumb
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley (Chopped for Optional Garnish)
- Soak the raw cashews in water at room temperature overnight or boil the nuts for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Drain the cashews and place them into a blender along with the rest of the cream cheese ingredients. Blend until very smooth, pause and scrape down the sides of the blender container if needed in the process.
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise. We like to cut through the stem to make a natural handle.
- Scoop out the seeds and pith from the jalapeño halves, using a spoon. (Remember to wash your hands immediately after!)
- Spoon the pumpkin cream cheese into each jalapeño boat and place the filled peppers onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Top each popper with breadcrumb and bake for 20-25 minutes. Then, carefully remove the parchment paper from the pan and place the poppers under the broiler for another minute or two or until browned.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Jalapeño Popper Recipe, Pumpkin Jalapeño Poppers, Vegan Fall Appetizer Recipe