This harvest-time homemade pizza recipe features colorful tomatoes, eggplant, along with both zucchini and yellow squash- in other words ratatouille ingredients loaded on a crispy crust. You don’t want to miss this healthy and beautiful Vegan Ratatouille Flatbread Pizza!
Healthy Pizza Made at Home
Another late summer recipe coming your way. But this time, it’s a family approved favorite… pizza! Okay, technically it’s a flatbread, but still everyone is going to LOVE this meal.
A Different Take on Ratatouille
We are not talking about that adorable little Disney mouse here but rather the complex and delicious French Provencal dish that he was named after.
However, this ratatouille is served on a comforting flatbread crust but it still includes a multitude of seasonal fresh produce. Simply slice everything nice and thin and then it goes on your crust along with vegan mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce. Super easy and even great for a busy weeknight.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Pizza Dough or Pre-made Flatbread – The base for this ratatouille provides crunchiness and a sturdy vehicle for enjoying an abundance of produce.
- Vegan Mozzarella – The dairy free cheese provides creaminess and necessary salt to this flatbread. However, for a wfpb (whole food plant-based) version, the cheese can also be left off.
- Eggplant – This bulbous berry (Yes, it’s actually a berry!) becomes nice and tender when cooked.
- Zucchini & Yellow Squash – Summer squash adds color and a little sweetness to the pie.
- Tomatoes – Colorful tomatoes not only look beautiful but they also provide moisture and tanginess.
- Dried Herbs – When added right before cooking, oregano and thyme release flavor and aroma. However, fresh herbs can also be used but they should be added right before serving.
- Fresh Basil – The basil provides brightness and a lovely pop of green.
FAQ & Vegan Ratatouille Flatbread Tips:
What is the best type of dairy free cheese for this flatbread?
- We recommend using shredded mozzarella cheese because of its convenience and its tendency to melt. But sliced vegan mozzarella also works. Additionally, you can always make your own homemade cheese. If that’s the plan, check out this recipe for Vegan Fresh Mozzarella made from cashews.
Do you need to pre-cook the flatbread if you’re using store-bought
- Nope. If you are using a premade crust, just add your cheese, sauce, and veggies and go from there.
Tip 1: Use a Mandoline Slicer
- A mandoline not only cuts down on the prep time, but it also guarantees that all of the vegetables are uniform in thickness for even cooking. Additionally, you can then overlap the veggies and pile them high which is always a win for nutrition.
Tip 2: Make it Fresh
- Add a fresh crunch by topping your flatbread with arugula or another small green.
Mix It Up
- Not in the mood for flatbread? These ratatouille toppings also work on a traditional pizza crust, pita, or on top of polenta.
Savoring the Flavors of Summer
We’re honestly not ready for the day when the farmer’s market is no longer packed with gorgeous ratatouille ingredients. So, in the meantime we will be making this amazing plant-based flatbread on repeat. Enjoy! 🍕
Finally, if you have made flatbread recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Vegan Ratatouille Flatbread Pizza
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cook Time: 35 min.
- Total Time: 50 min.
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French, Italian
- Diet: Vegan
The vegetables of late summer, is there anything better? This vegan ratatouille flatbread pizza features eggplant, squash, & fresh tomatoes. Bottom line, it’s light, healthy, and absolutely delicious!
- 2 Cups of Prepared Pizza Dough or Two Premade Flatbreads
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 2 Small Tomatoes (Sliced Thin)
- 1 Small Zucchini (Sliced Thin)
- 1 Small Yellow Squash (Sliced Thin)
- 1 Small Eggplant (Sliced Thin)
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil Leaves (Lightly Chopped, Optional)
- Prepare your pizza dough, if needed, to allow enough time for it to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F (or as directed on the package of your flatbread). Prepare all vegetables as directed above. We recommend using a mandoline slicer for thin even cuts.
- If you are using dough: Roll out your dough portions into long thin ovals. Place the rolled dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush each formed flatbread with a little olive oil.
- Bake the dough for 6 minutes. Dough will begin to firm up.
- Sprinkle each crust with a liberal amount of cheese then dollop on the sauce as much you prefer.
- Arrange the sliced vegetables on each flatbread. Don’t be afraid of overlapping! Sprinkle dried herbs over each flatbread.
- Place the flatbreads back into the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove when the vegetables are cooked and the crust is beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle each flatbread with fresh basil and cut into slices. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Leftover pizza can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Ratatouille Pizza Recipe, Vegan Ratatouille Flatbread, Summer Vegetable Pizza Recipe