This is one crave-worthy meatless burrito. Made with protein loaded soy and sautéed peppers and onions, this Fajita Soy Curl Vegan Burrito is a Mexican meal you will want on repeat!
A Wrapped-Up Fajita
Mexican is one of our go-to meals. A few of our favorites are Vegan Jackfruit Skillet Nachos, Chipotle Sweet Potato Taquitos, and Vegan Banana Blossom “Fish” Tacos, just to name a few. But one meal we always shied away from was burritos- not anymore!
Presently, it has become much more commonplace to find large burrito tortillas in most grocery stores. Unquestionably, they make it much easier to wrap all of the delicious fajita fillings into one hand-held meal.
However, probably the best thing about this burrito is the combination of soy curls and fresh guacamole. It’s spicy, fresh, and just so GOOD.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Large Tortillas – Extra large flour tortillas work best. They are easier to fold and keep all of the fillings in place.
- Rice – Fresh cilantro and and the juice and zest of one lime are added to the rice (white or brown will work) for a zesty addition that compliments the guacamole.
- Soy Curls – Butler soy curls are rehydrated and sautéed with taco seasoning for a fun plant-based protein.
- Taco Seasoning – The seasoning is added to the soy curls for a delicious flavor that tastes so similar to a traditional meat filling. Try this recipe for an Easy No Salt Taco Seasoning.
- Bell Peppers – A combination of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers adds color and nutrition.
- Onion – The sautéed onion provides a slightly sweet and savory addition to the peppers.
- Jalapeño – This optional ingredient will add just a little bit of heat. Additionally, it can be substituted with a spicier pepper as well, if desired.
- Guacamole – A freshly made guacamole is key. We love this Spicy Chunky Homemade Guacamole recipe for this soy curl burrito.
FAQ & Fajita Soy Curl BurritoTips:
Can these burritos be made gluten-free?
- Yes, to some degree. Tortillas that are similar to flour work best because they won’t tear as easily when wrapping the burrito. However, it can be difficult to find large gluten-free tortillas. Therefore, you can use a smaller variety and maybe just eat more than one. What’s so bad about that?!
How are soy curls made?
- Soy curls are dehydrated strips of soy protein that are made out of whole soybeans. The soybeans are slowly cooked until they are soft and then a machine breaks them into strands. Finally, the soy curls are dried at a low temperature until dehydrated. Currently, Butler soy curls are the only available soy curls and they are delicious baked, sauteed, or even air fried.
- Use tortillas that haven’t been opened stored at room temperature or heat refrigerated tortillas before filling them for a more pliable burrito.
- To save some time, we suggest meal prepping the ingredients for these burritos. We like to make all of the parts on the weekend, refrigerate them separately, and then quickly reheat the fixings before wrapping a killer weeknight burrito.
Filling and Flavorful
Don’t think for a second that you can’t make your own delicious homemade Mexican burritos. This satisfying meal is so much easier than you think. In fact, it just might be another burrito night at our home tonight… 😉 Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this fajita soy curl burrito recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy wrapping! 🌯
A satisfying plant-based burrito made with protein rich soy curls. This Fajita Soy Curl Vegan Burrito is healthy and absolutely delicious!
- 1 Cup Cooked White Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Butler Soy Curls (Hydrated)
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Sliced Lengthwise)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Sliced Lengthwise)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (Sliced Lengthwise)
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper (Sliced Lengthwise)
- 1 Jalapeño (Sliced lengthwise)
- 1/4 Cup Packed Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
- 1 Lime (Zested and Juiced)
- 1/2 Cup Guacamole
- Burrito Tortillas
- Cook the rice as per the directions on the package.
- Place the dry soy curls in a bowl and cover with hot water and set aside for 10 minutes. Prepare the produce as directed above.
- Drain the soy curls thoroughly. In a skillet with 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Cook the soy curls until they start to brown. Approx 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 Tbsp of taco mix to the soy curls and stir to incorporate. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp to the skillet and add the onions and peppers. Sauté for approx. 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the peppers begin to soften. Add the last 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning to the peppers and stir to incorporate. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until all the peppers and onions are soft.
- When the rice has finished cooking, transfer it to a bowl and set aside to cool. Once the rice has cooled stir in the cilantro, lime zest and lime juice.
- Prepare your guacamole if you are making your own.
- Place a burrito wrap on a clean surface. Add two spoonfuls of rice to the center of the wrap. Next add some of the fajita pepper and onion mixture, and cooked soy curls. Top with a spoonful of guacamole and a small amount of rice.
- Fold the sides of the wrap toward the center and roll the wrap tightly from the bottom to the top around the filling.
- Serve with extra guacamole and some vegan nacho cheese sauce. Try this recipe for The Best Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers in separate containers for up to 5 days.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Fajita Burrito, Soy Curl Recipe, Vegan Mexican