A quick and easy Italian meal that’s sure to please. This vegan toasted gnocchi al pesto is comforting and bursting with flavor. Plus, it’s vegan and a snap to make.
Gnocchi with Texture!
Soft and fluffy gnocchi is transformed into a total mouth experience. By simply sautéing the boiled gnocchi in a pan, traditionally soggy gnocchi becomes crispy on the outside and soft and pillowing on the inside. In other words, AMAZING!
A Vibrant Vegan Pesto Sauce
One of the best things to do with a bounty of fresh basil is to make a quick pesto sauce at home. With only a handful of ingredients, you can have a bright and fresh sauce for pasta or a flavorful condiment to drizzle on pizza, roasted vegetables, or even a salad. But our personal favorite is when it’s served with crispy toasted potato gnocchi.
This vegan pesto is the good ol’ classic. It is made with nutty pine nuts, fresh basil, garlic, and lots of vegan parmesan cheese. But even though it only requires 4 ingredients, this simple sauce explodes with flavor.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Gluten-Free Potato Gnocchi or Traditional Potato Gnocchi – Pillowy and filling. But, when toasted they become crispy and soft at the same time.
- Fresh Basil – The most important ingredient for this pesto. Flowery, fragrant and full of flavor
- Pine Nuts – Add protein but also makes this pesto recipe worth eating. You won’t forget this anytime soon.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese – It doesn’t matter if it is vegan or not. Cheese in pesto adds flavor and most of all… salt. Which brings all the flavors together.
- Garlic – Everyone needs garlic but pesto needs garlic big time and this pesto is no different.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Oil makes this blend and sauce. It also acts as a preservative, creating an air proof seal preventing the basil from turning brown.
FAQ & Toasted Gnocchi al Pesto Tips:
Is there a possible substitution for the pine nuts?
How long will the vegan pesto keep
- If you have extra pesto, put it in an airtight container and cover the top of it completely with olive oil. It will then last in the refrigerator for at least two weeks.
Make it Easy.
- To cut down on the preparation time, store-bought vegan pesto can also be used. This will allow the meal to be ready in a snap.
- For perfectly roasted gnocchi, simply toss the boiled gnocchi in a small amount of olive oil. Then, add them to a skillet and cook until they are golden brown on all sides.
An Easy Weeknight Meal
Is there anything better than pasta? Not in our books and this incredibly easy pesto gnocchi was made for a weeknight. So satisfying and a snap to make. Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this gnocchi al pesto recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
A quick and easy Italian meal that’s sure to please. This vegan toasted gnocchi al pesto is comforting and bursting with flavor.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While the water is heating, toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Stir frequently until golden brown. Set aside 1 Tbsp of the toasted pine nuts for garnish.
- Next add the basil ingredients, except for the olive oil, to a food processor. Run the processor on low and slowly add the olive oil until very smooth and loose. Approx 1/2 cup.
- Once the water is boiling, add the gnocchi and boil until the gnocchi floats to the top of the water. Approx. 2 minutes. Drain the gnocchi and toss to coat with 1 Tbsp of oil.
- Toast the gnocchi. Add the coated gnocchi to a frying pan heated over medium heat. Allow to cook tossing occasionally until the cooked gnocchi is crispy and golden brown.
- Plate the warm toasted gnocchi and top with dollops of freshly blended pesto. Garnish with vegan Parmesan, extra toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate any leftover gnocchi separately from the pesto in airtight containers. Add a thin layer of olive oil on top of the pesto to help preserve it. It will last up to two weeks and can be added to pizza, pasta, and more. The toasted gnocchi will keep for up to 5 days.
- A 17.6 oz package of gnocchi will serve 4, however, the pesto will serve 10-12. When covered with oil, it will last in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Toasted Gnocchi al Pesto Recipe, Easy Vegan Pasta, Vegan Pesto Recipe
If you are looking for a more unique vegan pesto recipe for the toasted gnocchi, check these out!