A crispy homemade taco salad that’s baked not fried! These Vegan Mini Taco Salads are adorable and so easy to make.
Cute & Tasty
Mexican food was a staple in my house growing up. Even though we lived in Montana, my mom never let that stop us from enjoying satisfying South-of-the-border cuisine. Of course, it may have been more Americanized, but all I remember is that I always looked forward to tacos, enchiladas, and more.
Consequently, we now routinely make plant-based recipes influenced by Mexican cuisine. Some of our favorites include a Fajita Soy Curl Vegan Burrito, comforting Vegan Jackfruit Skillet Nachos, and The Best Cashew Nacho Cheese Sauce.
But now there’s a new kid in town- mini taco salads! Not only are these tiny salads cute but they are also healthy. No fried shells here!
The shell consists of baked mini tortillas that are then filled with nutritious black beans, tempeh, lettuce and more. They are so good and also so good for you!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Small Flour Tortillas – Mini tortillas are placed into a muffin pan to create a crispy and crunchy shell for your taco salads.
- Tempeh – The tempeh is crumbled for a terrific protein-rich meat replacement.
- Black Beans – Protein and more protein. The beans also add a creamy element to this meat-free taco salad.
- Onion – The onion is diced and added to the tempeh-bean mixture for flavor and a little is reserved to serve in the bowls raw for extra bite.
- Jalapeño – The jalapeño pepper adds a touch of spice.
- Lettuce – Although any lettuce can be used, we like the crispness of romaine for these mini bowls.
- Tomato – Fresh chopped tomato provides brightness and acidity.
- Vegan Sour Cream – This recipe for homemade Classic Tofu Sour Cream is easy and tastes just the real thing but you can also use a store bought variety.
- Taco Seasoning – A taco seasoning mix allows this vegan salad to taste just like its meat counterpart. Try this homemade Easy No Salt Taco Seasoning recipe!
- Cheese – Although cheese isn’t a necessity for this flavorful salad, a light sprinkle does add salt and flavor. We like to use this Vegan Pepita Parmesan or you can use store bought vegan shredded cheddar cheese.
- Fresh Cilantro – This fresh herb is sprinkled on top for brightness.
- Avocado – Diced avocado provides a delicious creamy element to this fresh salad.
FAQ & Mini Taco Salad Tips:
Are these taco salads gluten-free?
- No, the shells are made using small flour tortillas and they contain wheat. However, you could use corn tortillas instead for a gluten-free option.
Who invented taco salad?
- Elmer Doolin, the founder of Fritos. The original bowls were served at a restaurant in Disneyland called Casa De Fritos and consisted of shells made from Frito Corn Chips called Ta-Bowls. After that, the dish grew in size and became what we call taco salads today.
- Make the taco bowls a day in advance. Above all, the shells keep remarkably well and it can shave a little time off your preparation which can sometimes help especially on a weeknight.
Mix It Up.
- The tempeh can be left out for an all bean salad or it can be substituted for cubed extra-firm tofu or another plant-based meat substitute such as crumbled Beyond or Impossible Burgers.
Perfect for a Party
We are going to be honest. These mini taco bowls are a-mazing. But this comfort food is one you can feel good about eating. Serve these as a fun appetizer at a party or just eat 2 or 3 of them for dinner. Either way, you win! Enjoy!
Finally, if you have made this taco salad recipe, we would love to hear what you think! Please comment down below and be sure to rate the recipe. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks so much!
Additionally, you can also take a photo and tag us on instagram. We would love to get your feedback! Happy crunching! 🌮🥗
A healthy vegan appetizer or entree that’s easy to make! These mini taco salads include tempeh, black beans, lettuce, and so much more.
- 24 Small Flour Tortillas
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Jalapeño (Diced)
- 1 Medium Red onion (Diced Small, 1/4 Reserved for Garnish)
- 1 8oz Package Tempeh (Crumbled)
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup Romaine heart (Chopped Small)
- 1 Small Tomato (Diced)
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan (Optional)
- 1 Avocado (Diced)
- 1/4 Cup Packed Fresh Cilantro Leaves (Garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Place tortillas into a cupcake pan forming them into cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- While the cups bake, prepare the produce as directed above.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, jalapeño, onion and tempeh. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the tempeh is golden brown. Approx. 5 minutes. Add black beans and taco seasoning and stir to combine. Allow to sauté for 2 more minutes to heat the beans. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the cups have finished baking assemble the taco salad cups. Add romaine lettuce and tempeh and black bean sauté to each cup. Top them with tomato, avocado, diced onion, sour cream, Parmesan and cilantro. Enjoy!
- The equipment listed above contains affiliate links to products that we personally use, love, and recommend!
Keywords: Vegan Taco Salad, Mini Taco Salad Recipe, Healthy Taco Salad