NOW is the Time! Don’t wait to make these delightful Beluga Lentil “Caviar” Potato Bites! Buttery bite-sized potatoes dolloped with dairy-free sour cream and topped with vegan caviar, also known as beluga lentils. Get ready for a true plant-based delicacy!
What are Beluga Lentils?
Beluga lentils are a small black lentil variety that looks shockingly like real caviar prior to cooking. These tiny lentils are full of BIG flavor!
Once cooked, they do increase in size but they retain their shape and have an al dente texture. They will lose some of their signature color but their delicate taste pairs splendidly with the creamy potatoes and tangy vegan sour cream.
One other thing that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE about beluga lentils… they are grown in my home state of Montana! There are other brands but if you are looking for organic American grown lentils look no further than THIS AMAZING FARM.
Sophisticated Meets Home Cooking
Real caviar has never struck my fancy but vegan caviar made with a delicious kitchen staple?! Sign me up!
But it doesn’t stop there. The savory and protein rich lentils are then placed on baby Yukon Gold Potatoes that are filling and naturally buttery in flavor even au’ natural. Any small potatoes will work but creamy Yukon Golds are a favorite.
The old fashioned goodness doesn’t stop there. To really take this recipe to the next level the tasty potatoes are garnished with bright and tangy tofu sour cream. We love to make our own that only requires 4 ingredients and 5 minutes, but of course store bought is always an option too.
Last but not least, add a few springs of fresh dill and you have one beautiful bite. They are pretty to look at but they’re even better to nibble on- fancy yet charming!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you substitute another lentil variety for the beluga lentils?
- Absolutely. We love to use belugas because of their texture and color but any lentil will work. We would just recommend cooking your lentils al dente because it is a nice contrast to the creamy potato and sour cream combo.
Is it possible to use full size potatoes rather than petite?
- Yes. If you are looking for more of a meal, large potatoes are ideal. Make them like you would normally prepare a baked potato and then top them with sour cream and the cooked lentils. However, if you want an appetizer or side, opt for boiled bite-sized potatoes.
Do you have to use the kelp powder?
Easy to Make and Easier to EAT!
These Beluga Lentil “Caviar” Potato Bites are a plant-based delicacy that come together in a flash. They will be ready in 30 minutes or less. Go ahead feel fancy at home! Happy nibbling.
A gourmet plant-based appetizer that everyone can enjoy. Bite-sized potatoes topped with tangy dairy-free sour cream, beluga lentil vegan caviar, and fresh dill.
12 Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes (Cooked and Cut in Half)
1 Cup Black Beluga Lentils (Cooked as Per Directions)
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Kelp Powder (Optional)
½ Cup Vegan Sour Cream
Fresh Dill (Chopped, Garnish)
- Wash and prepare all produce.
- Make vegan sour cream if needed.
- Boil the potatoes over high heat until soft but skin intact. Drain and set aside.
- Make lentils as per directions add kelp powder to lentil water before boiling (if using).
- Half the potatoes lengthwise and arrange on a platter.
- Place a dollop of sour cream into each half and then top with the cooked lentils.
- Garnish with dill and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Beluga Lentil “Caviar” Potato Bites
Other Lentil Recipes to Try:
This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to purchase from them, we will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!